Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Vegan Baked Doughnuts

This is definitely a take-one project. I haven't had a doughnut
in years and years. Seriously, even when I did eat eggs and
cow milk -- I rarely ate doughnuts. My Dad used to make amazing
doughnuts when I was little, but that was also when I was too
young to be concerned about deep-fried desserts.

The whole Dunkin' Cruelty project got me in the mood to make
vegan doughnuts. Yes, I'm trying to prove something here.
I got this recipe ages ago from somewhere online and had it
scribbled on a scrape of paper taped to my sketchbook.

They were pretty tasty. More reminiscent of sweet rolls or
sweet bagels than the bubbly texture of classic doughnuts though.
I'm sure if I had deep-fried them it would have been different.
Also, I am currently staying in very high altitude area and I don't
know how much that effects the rising and baking of the
dough. I'm gonna try a couple more recipes as this one was tweaked
already, so...

The frosting-glaze is only made with rice milk and powder sugar.
What I wouldn't have given for some vegan sprinkles!

Vegan Baked Doughnuts

5 tsp dry active yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups warmed rice milk
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
3 tablespoons agave syrup
2 tablespoons earth balance
2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 1/4 cup flour

Dissolve the yeast in warm water and set aside.
Cream the sugars and butter, add in the warmed rice milk
and combine with the yeast mixture. Slowly sprinkle in the
flour and cornstarch while mixing. Roll out on to a lightly
floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic-y.
Place in an oiled bowl and turn over. Allow to rise until doubled-
at least one hour. Roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
cut into desired shapes and let rise until doubled again-
about 45 minutes to an hour. I did a bunch of rings, holes,
and a couple twists with the left over dough for 'tiger tails'.
Bake at 375˚ for 8-10 minutes. Glaze immediately.
For the 'tiger tails' brush with a non-dairy milk or earth
balance then roll in turbinado sugar and cinnamon.







No comments:


Food & Drink Blogs Nutrition blogs & blog posts