Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Simple foods for long days

It has been a tough week settling into classes, the 'new' abode,
the ... kitchen situation..., and of course transportation-- or
sometimes lack there of. Using public transport, I've had to
tac on an extra hour to two hours to everything I do. Sometimes
more when I'm lugging large bags of baking goods or dishes around.

Needless to say that when I've finally gotten back to the ol' tool shed
in the back, I've been a little worn for wear and not the in most
enthusiastic mood for cooking. But it always reminds me that some of
the most simple things can be the best and most comforting...

This evening, while steaming some beets for tomorrows salad,
I made some steamed collards and some potato grill cakes.
As I am not able to cook for one person (I am trained to cook army-
sized portions) I am usually left with at least some leftovers
for the next few days. Well, I'm getting a little better at least.
Now I'm cooking for about three people or two really hungry people.

























I was surprised at what a heavenly combination collards
and potato cakes made, I hope you enjoy!

Potato Cakers

1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3-4 tablespoons water
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 large potato grated (about a cup and a half)

Mix the flour and just enough water to make a pancake
batter consistency. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix
well.
Portion out on to a heated-oiled griddle and flatten/shape.
Allow to become golden brown before flipping, about 5 minutes
on a medium to high flame.

makes 4-6 potato cakes

No comments:


Food & Drink Blogs Nutrition blogs & blog posts