Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Not a Nut Sunflower Stew

No peanut butter for me from now on folks!
Well, at least not for a while. November 1st was international Vegan
Day. We went over to Burbank for a Vegan Roller Skating Party, which
was a blast. There were tons of vegan food vendors, a silent auction,
raffles, goodie bags, and lots of roller skating vegans.

So I left with a huge bruise on my tail bone and the winning bid for a
huge basket of sunflower seed butter (5 jars and a bunch of other stuff).
Sunbutter is pretty darn tasty-- and if you have a peanut allergy, its the
butter for you. My basket and goodie bag came with a bunch of their
little sample packs too, which I guess will be good for school lunches
but I don't like all that extra packaging that cannot be recycled.

Since I love peanut thai dishes, I absolutely had to try this out.
All the flavour and love of a traditional thai dish without the hidden
nastiness of the fish sauce. (That is something to remember kids,
whenever you eat out ANYWHERE-- thai dishes [curry, etc] will
ALWAYS have fish sauce or flakes init-- even if it is on the vegetarian
portion of a menu). You know how, even after you tell people that you
don't eat meat they still think you eat fish because some how fish
doesn't qualify as an animal (??!).

Anyway, enjoy my come back boys and girls (and monkeys)

Thai Sunbutter Stew

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 large bell pepper, diced
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
some vegetable broth or water
1 package of firm or extra firm tofu
1 sample pack or about 2 tablespoons of sunbutter
3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
(1 tablespoon fresh lime juice- opt)
1 tablespoon (or more) of soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and add onions.
Cook, stirring, until they start to turn translucent. Add garlic
and cook for one minute more. Add tomatoes, pepper, ginger and
some water or vegetable broth to assist in cooking and prevent
sticking. Cook for a few minutes more until peppers just start
to get tender. Add sunbutter, chili sauce, juice and seasoning. Stir until
all mixed and add tofu. Continue to cook until tofu is heated through
and peppers are thoroughly cooked. Serve over jasmine rice or a
super thin pasta like I did.

The pasta I used is similar to a thin angel hair, but it is packaged
in almost cake like packs at mexican markets. Super good and
satisfies every peanut craving.

Feel free to add a hot chili pepper to this recipe to add an extra
kick, I would have if I had had one...


1 comment:

Piotr said...

mmmm! i only have a wittle sunbutter that I shall save for something random and small... deliciousness!


Food & Drink Blogs Nutrition blogs & blog posts