Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Curry in a Hurry

It never ceases to amaze me that although I really don't have
tremendous amounts of stuff going on in my life-- at least
compared to what I was doing during my undergrad--
Everyday I still feel like everything is done in a hurry.

I cannot say if it is our culture, our society or just me, but
I always feel like I have so much to do, never get anything done
and am always HUNGRY!! Hee hee. Well, maybe not always,
but when I get home I want food right then in my face!

And the joy of being on one's own? I get to make whatever I want.
... Sort of. Although I dream of eating gooey brownie ala mode
every night and pie every morning for breakfast, I don't because
I don't wanna look as round as a pie. So instead I look to my other
favorite foods for respite.

All time, absolute favorite, king of them all?? Curry... *wipes drool*
You can get curry powder pre-mixed ready to go or you can throw
in the spices separately. Amusingly enough curry is not a traditional
indian dish, as many of us believe. Its actually a westernized take
on an indian blend of spices in a sauce used on whatever. Funky, eh?
Although each curry powder you buy is gonna be different most do
have a blend of coriander, turmeric, cumin and fenugreek. Red or orange
curry powders have different kinds of chillies and peppers.

Here I just used an average blend of yellow curry powder and
added some extra surprises.

Yellow Curry in a Hurry
















1 tablespoon of olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
1 large bell pepper, chopped
2 carrots, cut into rounds
3 potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 package of tofu, cubed (can be fried beforehand)
2 tablespoons of curry powder
2 tablespoons of hot chili sauce
1 cinnamon stick
1 can of coconut milk

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook until translucent and tender.
Add the garlic and ginger and keep stirring until fragrant,
about a minute or so. Next add the spices and chili.
Next drop in the slower cooking vegetables-- mainly the
potatoes. Add a little water, while these are all cooking to
prevent sticking. You can use vegetable broth if you like too,
I like adding a bouillon cube to add a little extra flavour.
Throw in the cinnamon stick and continue to cook on low-med
heat until all the vegetables start to cook. Stir in the coconut
milk and tofu and cook until heated through. Season with
salt to taste.

Serve over basmati or jasmine rice topped with fresh cilantro!





No comments:


Food & Drink Blogs Nutrition blogs & blog posts