Friday, December 4, 2009

Dinner Pie, Oh My: Part Five

I've heard it said "Eat Dessert first, you never know when
you're gonna die." I strongly concur.
However, what if your dessert was hijacked by a dinner
disguising as a dessert. Like a pie, that wasn't your
average pie...

Yes my friends, I am talking about the dastardly meal
that is shepherds pie or worse yet pot pie. Shepherds pie
though is very often mislabeled... It actually is just a
veg and meat pie topped with potatoes and baked. Pot
pie actually has a pie crust.

I remember my dad making shepherd's pie when I was
a kid and I hated celery, so I never wanted to eat it.
And you have to admit that dinner pie isn't the most
photogenic or appetizing looking meals... So naturally,
as most children do, I had to give it a suitable nickname.
My Dad's shepherd pie became "Shepherd's Hulgh" --
as in a puking noise. I'm not sure how to spell that, but
you get the picture.

I feel pretty bad about this because my Dad is a damn
good cook and he doesn't cook nearly as much as he used
to, very sad. Also, I know that if I had his shepherd's pie today
I wouldn't be complaining.

We did a special take on the whole shepherd's pie idea today
for dinner... Our filling was just a load of mostly broccoli that
could be the base of a very good soup. (onions, garlic, broc,
carrots, sage, rosemary, bay leaf, soymilk, salt, pepper,
and a vegan roux).

Now the crust is what brings us back to the traditional sense
of shepherd's pie-- taders. Instead of lobbing some potatoes on
top we made a potato crust, as follows.






























Potato Pie Crust

2 cups mashed potatoes, cooled
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp water

Mix all but water. Slowly add water until a ball is formed.
Divide and roll out in to about 1/8" thickness.
This is good for a 9" crust and up. We used an 8" pan and
still had some dough left over. Once the bottom
of the crust is in place, pierce some holes in it with a fork
and prebake for about 8 minutes at 350F.

Pour in your filling and apply the top crust. Cut a couple of
slits in it, so the heat can escape. Bake for 30 minutes or
until golden brown.















My Shepherds "hulgh!"
Hee hee looks like the pie puked though!
















No comments:


Food & Drink Blogs Nutrition blogs & blog posts