Saturday, December 19, 2009

Frost those cookies: Six Days til Christmas

I'm only posting something small tonight because I'm beat.
I've been cooking sweets since about 2 this afternoon.
Its all mainly truffles, but some cookies-
Also the orange gingerbread...

The only thing I can compare this perfect setting glaze to
is those oatmeal mother's cookies with the glazing on top.
I love the smoothness of a glazed cookie, especially when
they are still fresh and soft.

Another reason I like glazes, although I do love full on
decorating my Christmas cookies, is that a glaze doesn't
usually involve any added fat. Whereas, frosting is mainly
'butter' or oil of some kind.

I used up the rest of my gingerbread cookie dough that I
stuck in the freezer and made sure to roll it out thicker.
I no longer own cookie cutters, so I used a small drinking
glass instead.
The glaze is so simple and the gingerbread is so good,
that really I didn't know what to do with myself besides
make a cup of tea!

Ice Pond Glaze

1 cup vegan powdered sugar or confectioners sugar
3-4 tablespoons soymilk
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

mix all together until sugar is dissolved.
Dip cookies face down into glaze and pull straight up,
allowing excess to drip off. Allow to dry for a least
one hour.

You can add food colouring if you like to make it a little
more festive. Or you can use this for a cake glaze as well
as it firms up perfectly without being crunchy.

So I sit, waiting with my tea and cookies for the monkey man
to get back so we can decorate our wee Christmas tree!

No comments:


Food & Drink Blogs Nutrition blogs & blog posts