Saturday, July 18, 2009

Ginger-King Muffins

These muffins rule beyond all else, no. I am not full of
it, but they are! Seriously, these muffins are full of it.
Ginger-jelly that is.

My most recent attempt at jam making ended in a
tiny jar of caramelized ginger and green apples.
We had it on peanut butter sandwiches yesterday and it
was fantastic, but there is a lot I want to do to the recipe
before I share it with you. Let me work out the kinks.

Since my Sister is here from Taiwan I've been bringing
down breakfast with me when I pick her up. The other
day it was blueberry-orange scones and today it was
whole-wheat ginger jelly muffins.

I used Nava Atlas' recipe for the basic muffin from the
Vegetarian Family. Pretty good, I plan on tweaking it quite
a bit. Yet for this purpose it did quite swell.

Now, don't get me wrong... I love muffins. I'm just not a
muffin person (and thank god I'm not shaped like one).
I'm more of a flakey scone or pastry sort of person to be honest.
I'm one of those jerks that always steals the tops of the muffins.
I guess I'm one of the reasons they created those muffin top pans.

The jelly itself was surprising. It is zingy and sweet, smooth,
yet holds little bits of crisp ginger. I'll get more root so I
can perfect this recipe soon. Then I can process a whole batch.





























Ginger-King Muffins

Ingredients

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons flaxmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup turbinado sugar
1 cup apple sauce
2 tablespoons oil
1/3 cup soymilk

First mix all the dry ingredients together (including sugar).
Make it into a little concave crater of flour-y stuff in your bowl.

Dump in the apple sauce, oil, and just enough milk to make a
decent batter. Should be smooth, yet stiff. Be really really
careful not to over mix your batter.

In a prepared muffin tray (you may grease a tray, use liners-
I personally use and love silicone trays. No grease, no trouble)
Drop a couple tablespoons of batter in the bottom of the cup.
Make the batter a little concave and drop in a big tablespoon
of jam in the center. Make sure it does not reach the edges.
Then cover it up with more batter. I like lots of jelly personally,
but you can do whatever you like.

If any empty cups remain, put a couple tablespoons of water
in it. This made about 10 muffins but said it would yield 12.
Don't you hate that? I do.

Bake at 350F preheated for about 20-25 minutes.
You can fill these with other things of course, I also did plum
jam, fresh bananas, and chocolate chips.
My next attempt is peanut butter muffins with the ginger
filling. Onward!

No comments:


Food & Drink Blogs Nutrition blogs & blog posts