Friday, July 3, 2009

Sweet and Sour Pearl Onions





























This recipe is great if you're crazy for onions and pretty good if
you're not. I found it sometime ago in a generic vegetarian cook
book, so I'm afraid I can't cite my source. I'd like to try it again
with greens instead of onions to see how it turns out.
But the straight up recipe was very good and an excellent side
dish. I served it over couscous with a side of spicy hummus.

S&S Pearl Onions

1 pound of pearl onions, peeled and whole
1/4 white wine vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh parsley
1/2 cup raisins
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a deep pan and add 1 1/4 cups of water.
Bring all to boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered
for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may need to add a little
water now and then to keep it from drying out too much (depends
on your stove). Onions should be translucent, plump and soft.
Serve hot or at room temperature!

No comments:


Food & Drink Blogs Nutrition blogs & blog posts