Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What is in a Snickerdoodle?

A cookie by any other name would taste as sweet.


This was actually my first time making snickerdoodles. To be completely honest, when my friend told me
that these were his favorite I wasn't quite sure what
kind of cookie a snickerdoodle was. After a short reminder
it brought back memories of those enormously oversized,
squishy cookies that kids could get for free at the vons
bakery counter. So considering I had mixed emotions
(and a very little bit of confusion) surrounding the
creation of a snickerdoodle cookie, I feel this came out
quite well!

According to Lynne Olver snickerdoodles have no clear
origin. They are thought to be more of a modern adaptation
of German sticky buns or spiced cakes through the Pennsylvania
Dutch. The word snicker is probably derived from the German
word Schnecke, which translates to snail. I rather like that...
snail-doodles!

From what I've learned in making and reading up on these
lovely little guys is that they are characterized by the
soft texture and crackled surface. The dough, similar to
a regular sugar cookie, is rolled in cinnamon and sugar
before baking.

Aside from that, I think I'm all the better for these...
well maybe not my tummy, but the rest of me is better for it.

Snickerdoodle or 'SnailDoodle' Cookies

ingredients

1 cup of earth balance
1 1/2 cups of raw sugar
[2 tbsp flaxseed meal plus 6 tbsp water until frothy]
2 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon

Cream earth balance, sugar, and flax.
In a separate bowl sift together flour, tartar, soda
and salt. Blend the dry ingredients into the wet mix.
Chill the dough and an ungreased baking sheet for at
least 15 minutes. Mix the extra sugar and cinnamon in
a small bowl. Scoop the dough into rounded teaspoons
and roll in sugar mix. Place on the chilled sheet with
plenty of room, no need to press down because they
will flatten out and spread on their own.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 10 minutes
and remove from the pan immediately after baking.

These are so taste and disappear so quickly I doubt
the name 'snaildoodle' is entirely suiting!

No comments:


Food & Drink Blogs Nutrition blogs & blog posts