Friday, July 10, 2009

Peanut and Black-eyed Stew

Last weekend my Dad made a huge huge pot of black-eyed beans.
So after I got home with my brothers I wanted to make something
quick, easy, and something that would make a dent in that bucket
of beans that was smiling at me from the refrigerator.
We just had hoppin' john not too long ago and I came across this
in my copy of Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes. I think the recipe
is actually called "African Groundnut Stew" because of the
peanuts.

My version had to be twisted a little because I had no onions on
hand and chillies would have been too spicy for my little brother.
And I used cashews instead of peanuts... and I cut it in half
because there were only three of us... ha ha so I messed with it alot.




















Ingredients

1 clove garlic, minced
1 small green bell pepper, cleaned and chopped
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 1/2- 2 cups butternut squash, seeded-peeled-cubed
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp cashews chopped
3/4 cup cooked black-eyed beans

Cook the garlic, pepper and spices in a tsp of oil for about a minute.
Add the squash and 3/4 cup of water and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat. Mix the peanut butter and 2 tbsp water and add to the
pot. Allow to simmer until the squash begins to look tender, about
15-20 minutes. Add the cashews (or originally peanuts) and the beans
and allow to cook for about 10 more minutes or until hot all the way
through. Serve over rice!

No comments:


Food & Drink Blogs Nutrition blogs & blog posts